Azores and Back Yacht Race 2011

After Sam White and Richard Raistricks efforts on the race to the Azores the race home will see Sam's first solo ocean race. The competion comprises some of the finest sailors in the UK and thanks to a great race here Sam is still well within sight of a podium finish. This is Yacht racing at its best and of course anything could happen in the next 1250 miles.

Friday 24 June 2011

25 ktsof wind ans rising....

Having been going very hard at it with the spinny since early this morning its time came to once again pack it up and sail slower, it doesnt feel natural when I am aware Taika and Elixer are just a hand full of miles in front but with the wind increasing I set myself a limit and stuck to it. It increased from 22 kts to over 25 kts in a few minutes and seem to coincide with some a fresh cloud line, as I wasn't sure quite how high it would get and didn't fancy trying to get it down in more breeze than that. On this occasion I did a text book 'how not to douse a spinnaker' drop but nothing broken. As always the wind dropped back down to 20 kts shortly after I had taken it down but until I have chilled out a little and caught a few Zzzz's that's where its staying. On a positive note I can guarantee the keel is clean- having been looking at it fully out of the water when I was cleaning the sails on one side!
It is a very sunny day here, wherever here is, 650 southwest of lands end i think! maybe I wont dwell on that distance too much!
 
I know a few of you are doing the RTIR this weekend- good luck and I hope you have fresh winds and clear skies too.

1 comment:

  1. Well you are doing something right...4th in class, 5th overall at the minute. glad the weather is good, hope you have enough water left for all that sunshine! Keep it up xx

    ReplyDelete