Azores and Back Yacht Race 2011

After Sam White and Richard Raistricks efforts on the race to the Azores the race home will see Sam's first solo ocean race. The competion comprises some of the finest sailors in the UK and thanks to a great race here Sam is still well within sight of a podium finish. This is Yacht racing at its best and of course anything could happen in the next 1250 miles.

Thursday 23 June 2011

Day 3 all but over, now relax........

After dropping the Spinnaker this early this morning I chilled out till about 11, poking head on deck every 20 minutes and sleeping in between. I needed it! After some food and a obligatory (nice) cup of tea I put on my racing head and got back on deck. The wind had come further behind me so I had the option of the other traditional spinnaker (as opposed to the asymmetrical one). The traditional spinnaker slightly harder to set up and can be a little hazardous to get down again, but when up it should be easier to control than the one I had been flying all night. I opted for the Traditional one and no soon as it was up the wind rose from 17kts to peaked at 25kts- never mind, it is a race after all! All day I flew the spinnaker and was once again surfing some excellent waves. With the boat speed topping out at 16 kts I was sure to making up some of the lost ground on 'Elixer', the boat ahead. Before I had dropped the spinnaker this morning she was firmly behind me but by the time I had re-hoisted it she was on the horizon dead in front. A target, great! I chased well through out the day but as the waves picked up once again I needed some rest and George once again couldn't cope. The problem is as the boat slows down following a surf the back gets picked up by the next wave and when the boat is not moving as fast all the wind in the large sails turn to drag not speed, the rudder cant cope and the boat turns towards the wind and as the wind comes side on the problem gets worse until the sails flog violently- you can see why this is not acceptable! When I am driving I pre-empt the waves and stop it from happening, George being an autopilot can't
 
I have now once again dropped the spinnaker and have goosewinged the jib. At least for a while. unfortunately most of the other boats I am racing have 2 people on, so one of them can always drive! My race is once again on hold till I feel brighter!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment