Azores and Back Yacht Race 2011

After Sam White and Richard Raistricks efforts on the race to the Azores the race home will see Sam's first solo ocean race. The competion comprises some of the finest sailors in the UK and thanks to a great race here Sam is still well within sight of a podium finish. This is Yacht racing at its best and of course anything could happen in the next 1250 miles.

Sunday 26 June 2011

Getting bored of Phil and Flop's circus....

With a swell coming in form behind and the wind sub 10kts for the first time in a while I have found myself staring into the kite, as the wind puffs it fills, then flops as the boat rolls on the swell, then it fills again and it flops. I am still waiting for the Gybe point to arrive, it is getting close but going this slowly for this long was certainly not on my game plan! With another 10 degree shift to the west I will make my move, and then probably decide that the gamble is too big and I am not really sure if the shift is coming fast enough to make it worth it! That is talking from experience as that exactly why my tracker will show a north west track for a while this morning! It is frustrating at the moment as on the weather files I have received this calm patch is fairly small and I should have been well to the north west of it. I am not sure then if the calm patch is simply bigger than expected and the other boats are in it too, or if it just happens to have sat on my course just to test my patience. Of course it is too late now anyway so i will just keep watching Phil and Flops finest performance for a while longer.
 

1 comment:

  1. Well at least that weather won`t blow that spinnaker. If this kite is Phil and Flops then the blown one must be Buster Balloon. I hope the wind fills in for you to speed you back to Blighty. Sounds like you are getting some well earned rest though; the 27knts and foredeck sounded too hairy for me. Dad.

    ReplyDelete