Azores and Back Yacht Race 2011

After Sam White and Richard Raistricks efforts on the race to the Azores the race home will see Sam's first solo ocean race. The competion comprises some of the finest sailors in the UK and thanks to a great race here Sam is still well within sight of a podium finish. This is Yacht racing at its best and of course anything could happen in the next 1250 miles.

Sunday 26 June 2011

its only theory after all....

As the mist came in the wind veered through 40 degrees, I gybed the boat held the spinnaker for an hour or so, changed to the asymmetric spinnaker for an hour or so, changed to the code zero for an hour or so then changed, maybe for the final time, to a regular 'white sail' set up.
The reason I had positioned myself out west (not sure where the others are as cannot see the tracker) is to take advantage of the new wind, as it is coming from the west then though to the north. If I had sailed a straight line from where the wind was (north of the Azores) to Falmouth when as the wind swung as it now has I would have to make ground into wind, which is a slower angle of sailing. The gamble was how far west to go, ie. how many more miles to sail than a straight line. At some point it becomes counter productive. I have no idea as to whether I have played it right but this morning when the wind finally started to shift I breathed a slight sigh of relief!
It is of course only a theory but if the forecast stays true from now on then i should able to make Manacles Buoy (a turning mark of the course) and maybe even the finish on this tack without having to change the sail set up. As I say, it is only a theory!
The rest of today I will relax a bit as I have to cross the continental shelf at some point tonight, that is where the fishing fleets hang out and could cause some headaches for me as I need to give way to them and they are very unpredictable. In basic I not only need to be awake and on deck but also alert enough to think straight! I knew I had brought some coffee for a good reason!

No comments:

Post a Comment