Azores and Back Yacht Race 2011

After Sam White and Richard Raistricks efforts on the race to the Azores the race home will see Sam's first solo ocean race. The competion comprises some of the finest sailors in the UK and thanks to a great race here Sam is still well within sight of a podium finish. This is Yacht racing at its best and of course anything could happen in the next 1250 miles.

Tuesday 28 June 2011

A night of Scilly gaames....

I was aware that when I got close the TSS (shipping separation lanes) I would need to have my wits about me, However I thought it would be to manoeuvre around large vessels entering or exiting the western channel with holds full of cheap Chinese goods. What I ended up doing was spending the night dancing with fishing vessels! (in the world afloat most things give way to sailing boats when offshore, but everything gives way to fishing boats). These large vessels fish in random circles, normally centred around the approaching sailing yachts correct course and then when you have successfully avoided their ships and nets they turn back for another go. It becomes a bit of of a game, imagine allowing a 10 year old loose with a shopping trolley in a car park, giving him full rights to do as much damage with his trolley to cars as he likes, then re route the main high street and all the proud adults in there expensive cars thorough the middle of that car park. Oh and add some large lorries on each side of the cars and then of course make them stay awake for a week before the challenge. Sounds like fun hey!!
I have kept moving well over night and am pointing in the right direction with good boatspeed, unfortunately the tide is pointing the other way and is robbing about a kt off my speed over the ground. It has made my aim of a sub 7 day race slip away and also leaves me in the position of knowing the gap behind me is closing all the time. On this leg, all being well I have held off Steve in 'Truant' but as he had finished 5 hours ahead of us in Ponta Delgada I think he will still have enough 'time in the bag' to secure a 3rd in class (corrected) for both legs combined. Having said that as he raced Solo both ways and beat us on the water there having lost his power and had to hand steer for the last 4 days I think it is a very fair victory for him.
 
Looing forward to a beer now. I'll have Georges too as he doesn't drink!

No comments:

Post a Comment