Azores and Back Yacht Race 2011

After Sam White and Richard Raistricks efforts on the race to the Azores the race home will see Sam's first solo ocean race. The competion comprises some of the finest sailors in the UK and thanks to a great race here Sam is still well within sight of a podium finish. This is Yacht racing at its best and of course anything could happen in the next 1250 miles.

Monday 27 June 2011

a windy a wet last night at sea...

The wind out here tonight is far greater than the forecast. I am seeing 22 kts across the deck and at this angle that is making for some pretty wind conditions on deck. For the last few hours there has been a buffet that can be felt through out the hull which I would occasionally try to eliminate by tweaking things on deck, so far to avail so as I cant seem to stop it I decided it was time to tension up the rig as best I could. that of course means foredeck work which is the last place I really wanted to go! Having got togged up for it and got on the foredeck the first wave to land on my head was not very welcome but never mind, i can cope. Due to the length of time spent up there by the 3rd or 4th bucket of cold north Atlantic water to hurled at my face it didn't feel much like June!
Approaching the shipping channels to the south of the  isles of Scilly now so far only 1 fishing boat doing a 180 turn in front of me to keep[me on my toes, I think it gave the container ship on my right a fright though, never seen a ship that size manage a turn radius quite like that before!

No comments:

Post a Comment