Azores and Back Yacht Race 2011

After Sam White and Richard Raistricks efforts on the race to the Azores the race home will see Sam's first solo ocean race. The competion comprises some of the finest sailors in the UK and thanks to a great race here Sam is still well within sight of a podium finish. This is Yacht racing at its best and of course anything could happen in the next 1250 miles.

Wednesday 22 June 2011

The waiting game starts....

The nice thing about the race so far is that we kept moving, the island shrunk behind us quickly last night leaving nothing but a empty horizon at first light this morning. My boat speed had been good, although to be able to keep the boatspeed and keep the code zero hoisted i have been sailing around 10 degrees free'er than the other boats. As I type this they are slowly disappearing over the horizon to my right.
The code zero has now done its job. It kept me going faster than the others and towards the new wind. The tracker will show the boats way out to the north west, this is where the wind is forecast to fill in from. Now the waiting game is on to have the wind veer and increase thus allow us to break out up the 'big guns'. When the wind is behind me enough I will launch the spinnaker and should see some good boat speeds in a straight line for home.
According to the forecast which I always take with a hefty pinch of Maldons finest sea salt, the earliest I can successfully launch the spinnaker will be around midnight tonight. With that in mind I have let George (the autopilot) do the driving most of today and I have chilled in the sun catching some ZZZ's before the real work starts tonight.
When the horizon becomes bear of other Yachts and the wind speeds start to increase the size of the ocean and the distance from land is overwhelming. For now though it is very pleasant out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment